We’re in the home stretch! Three more days of instruction and then time to enjoy winter break. I wish you all a happy end of 2016 and a great start to 2017!
Thank you for your continued support and happy holidays,
· Attached is an introductory letter from Ms. Zarb, Hearst’s new social worker, who started with us on December 5th, replacing Ms. Carroll.
· If it feels like it is less than 32 degrees with the wind chill and/or it’s raining, we’ll be inside for arrival, recess, and dismissal. If you’re unsure whether it’s indoor or outdoor arrival or dismissal, please look for the red or green signs in the upper left corner of the main door and upper right corner of the back door. Red indicates indoor arrival/dismissal and green indicated outdoor arrival/dismissal.
· Scholastic Book Fair Update - We sold $9717.35 in merchandise ($700 more than last year woo-hoo!!). After Scholastic has been paid, we will have $5345.09 to spend on books and other materials through the Scholastic catalog to supplement our existing library resources. Thank you for all of your purchases and giving back to Hearst in this way!
Music and Drama Update
Starting in January - we will have chorus on the following days and times:
PK-2 chorus will be Wednesday's from 3:30pm-4:30pm
3rd-5th - chorus will be Tuesday from 7:30am-8:30am
Unfortunately, we will not be starting a band this year, but we will be partnering with the DC Youth Orchestra Program to bring string instruction into 4th and 5th grade music classes next semester. There also will be a Drama enrichment club on Tuesdays during the winter session. There will be a musical in the spring and as more details become available about the musical, those will be shared.
In January, we will begin defining our school values. Especially as we move forward with our discussions on equity and inclusion, defining a shared set of school values becomes critical. Please be on the lookout in the new year for information about upcoming focus groups.
News and Announcements from DCPS
Create DC (01/14)
The Create DC Arts Festival is bringing together a vibrant network of DCPS arts teachers, teaching artists, and local arts organizations for an afternoon of creative play on Saturday, January 14 at Union Market’s Dock 5. Families across the city are invited to join us in experiencing the visual arts, drama, dance, and music through hands-on interactive workshops and collaborative making stations as we celebrate the arts. All are welcome to create – or be – art at Create DC. For questions, contact Kristy Esparza at email@example.com.
NEW Parent Guide to DCPS
Premiered at 2016 EdFEST, the Communications Team and the Enrollment Team recently collaborated to produce the NEW Parent Guide to DCPS. Available in both English and Spanish, parents can use this guide as a tool to learn about the variety of programs offered at DC Public Schools and determine the best match for their student. From high-quality prekindergarten to college and career readiness opportunities, no matter what you're looking for, you can find it at DCPS! For questions contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hello Owl Families!
The Hearst annual staff and student holiday lunch is set for Dec. 21. Thank you so much to everyone who is volunteering or making donations. We are still in need of a few food items and have open volunteer slots. Please click on the Sign Up Genius (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0f49aaaf2c7-hearst/) to identify needs or reach out to Ms. Prince (email@example.com) or Ms. Dawkins (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Happy Hour Competition: We are holding a happy hour competition at Grilled Oyster Co. to see whether the moms or the dads can raise more money for the Owl Fund. Moms will gather on Monday, Jan. 9 from 6-8pm and Dads will gather on Monday, Jan. 23 from 6-8pm.
· The PTA will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 6pm in the library. Pizza and childcare will be available for all potty-trained kids. Please check the listserv and school website for sign-up information.
· Open House Tours: Looking for an opportunity to share your Hearst experience? Look no further than the next Open House on Friday, Jan. 13. If you have time to help out by greeting visitors, giving a tour or just setting up, please email Kay Parry at email@example.com.
· PTA on the Playground: Have an issue or concern you’d like to raise? Want to meet more parents? Have an idea for a fundraiser Stop by the benches on the playground (in the gym if inclement weather) on Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 5pm and talk with the PTA.
· Pre-Auction Wine Nights: This year’s annual pre-auction wine parties will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Feb. 25. Please bring one bottle of wine for the wine night and one bottle of wine to be packaged for the auction. It’s not necessary to bring the wine, but it’s helpful. For more information or to join the Auction Committee, please contact Emily Olesh at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We hope you have a wonderful winter break and holiday season and we will see you in 2017! Hoot Hoot!!
SW Parent Introduction Letter(1).docx