Good afternoon Owls,
Thanks for another great week at Hearst!
· As a reminder, there is no school for kids on Monday, January 16, Thursday, January 19, and Friday, January 20.
· The Lady Owls’ next opponent is Lafayette and the game is at Lafayette on Tuesday, January 17 at 4pm. The boys basketball team next take son Murch on Wednesday, January 18 at 4pm at Hears
· This year’s musical will be Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. Tryouts will begin in February and the musical will be June 1. Stay tuned for more information!
News and Announcements from Hearst
Interim Student Satisfaction Survey
In the coming weeks, our 3rd-5th graders will be taking an interim student satisfaction survey. In order for students to participate, we are requesting that parents sign and return by January 27 the consent forms that were sent home this week. In the event that your child did not bring home a consent form, one is attached here for your convenience. Thanks for your support!
News and Announcements from DCPS
BLACK HISTORY PROGRAM – LIBRARY OF CONGRESS (2/2)
The Library of Congress is holding its Black History Month Program on Thursday, February 2, 2017, at 12:00 noon. Schools are invited to bring their students to meet Dr. Carla D. Hayden. Dr. Hayden is the first African American and the first women to run the Library of Congress, America’s oldest federal cultural institution. She was nominated by President Barack Obama for the position and confirmed by the United States Senate in 2016. Students will be able to participate in a Q&A with Dr. Hayden. Lunch will be provided after the program. The program is in the James Madison Building of the Library of Congress, 101 Independence Avenue, SE. It is 1/4 block from the Capitol South Metro Station on the Orange, Blue or Silver Lines. You should arrive by 11:40 am to get through the security lines in the building. Contact Darren Jones at 202-707-3827 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Charles Sumner School Museum Seeking Music Performances
The Charles Sumner School Museum and Archives, DC Public Schools’ official museum, is hosting monthly open house events celebrating the pride, culture, and history of DCPS. This year, the museum is celebrating its 30th anniversary! They are inviting DCPS schools to perform at the open house events via school choirs, instrument, theater and vocal ensembles, etc. Students can earn community service hours by serving as hosts, facilitators, and museum docents. For additional details and to register schools/students to participate, contact Kimberly Springle, the Museum Director at email@example.com or 202-730-1420.
School Nursing Allocations and January Coverage
DC Department of Health’s (DOH’s) new School Health Services Program began this week. The attached SHSP Nurse Staffing Memo from DOH – in all languages – provides update to nurse allocations. Please distribute this update to your families. Additional information, including the “DCPS Nursing Allocation” document, is on DOH’s website. Also, for your own review, please find attached the actual monthly nursing coverage schedule for January 2017; this includes contact information for nurse managers, who remain your primary POC for daily coverage questions. With 34 schools having less nursing coverage in the January schedule than indicated in the nursing allocation document, please know that DCPS will continue to engage DOH on the staffing issues, and as more information about the new program becomes available, we’ll share it here. Contact Diana Bruce, DCPS’s Director of Health and Wellness, at (202) 907-7342 or Valentine Breitbarth, DCPS’s Program Manager for Health Services, at (202) 345-0052 for additional support.
Hello Owl Families! Thanks so much to all the moms who came out to happy hour last Monday when it was freezing outside! We had a really strong showing, a lot of fun and we raised money for our school.
Dads – you’re next! Join other Hearst dads on Monday, Jan. 23 as we try to raise even more money for Hearst. Please fill out the sign-up form below ASAP so we can provide an estimated head count to Grilled Oyster Company (3701 Newark Street), which will donate 15 percent of the proceeds of both food and beverages to Hearst.
· Pre-Auction Wine Nights: This year’s annual pre-auction wine parties will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Feb. 25. Please bring one bottle of wine for the wine night and one bottle of wine to be packaged for the auction. Please RSVP to Stacey Bernards at Stacey.firstname.lastname@example.org for the Jan. 28 party. For more auction information please contact Emily Olesh at email@example.com or Adrienne Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
· Hearst Information Session: The Stuart-Doyle family will again host a Hearst Information Session from 3-5 pm at their home on Sunday, Jan. 29. Come represent current Hearst families as we talk informally with prospective families. Please sign up to attend: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdAxlfZs0MQqXjxz4tmfTRvQnUeVCFmyPsTfo40v2viisqdUA/viewform (Note: it's best if kids can be left at home just so the event can focus on adult conversation and not be overrun by small people, but feel free to bring kids if necessary for you to attend; we will have a sitter or two to watch kids in the basement).
· Open House Tours: Looking for an opportunity to share your Hearst experience? Look no further than the next Open House on Friday, Feb. 10. If you have time to help out by greeting visitors, giving a tour or just setting up, please email Kay Parry at email@example.com.
· Community Dining Night: Our next Potomac Pizza night will be Monday, March 13. Please join us from 4-9pm at 19 Wisconsin Circle, Chevy Chase, Md. Dine in or carry out but make sure to mention you’re with Hearst and our school will receive 20 percent of our proceeds.