I hope that you’ve had a wonderful winter break and that your 2017 is off to a great start! Our team has been hard at work over the break to ensure that the building is shiny, clean, and ready for everyone's return on Tuesday. The transition back to school routines after a break can sometimes be a bit tough on kids so tomorrow we're planning to start the day with time for our kids to reconnect with their classmates and our staff and revisit their hopes and dreams for 2017. Please make sure that your kids are on time tomorrow morning so that they don't miss these activities to help them transition back to school. I'm looking forward to seeing you all tomorrow morning!
Happy New Year,
· Thanks to all who made our Holiday Luncheon a success! The kids truly enjoyed the luncheon and gave it big thumbs up all around. Our staff is also very appreciative of the time they had together to gather before the break to eat, laugh, and spend time with one another. Our Hearst volunteers are the best!!
· Welcome back to Susan Crawley and thanks to Fynn M’Llyr for working with our students this fall while Susan was out on maternity leave.
· Please see attached for last week's NW Current dispatch, from the K-1 CES classroom Perfect Parrots.
School Closures for Inclement Weather
Please see attached for information on the DCPS policies around closing or delaying school because of inclement weather.
Hello Owl Families! We hope you had a wonderful winter break and a happy new year!
Thank you so much to all of the families who helped with the school’s annual holiday lunch. A great time was had by all and we appreciate how much work it took to pull it off.
Registration for PTA-sponsored Winter Enrichment classes ends on Friday, Jan. 6. All other classes are first come, first serve. If you need information, please check out the website at: www.hearstes.org/enrichment_programs. Our music teacher, Ms. Black, is starting up a junior and senior chorus that is open to all Hearst students. Enrollment is capped at 50 students per class and we are in need of parent volunteers to help during class times, especially for the PreK-2nd grade chorus. Enrollment is handled on a first-come, first-served basis. Parents, please sign up to volunteer at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/8050c4caaaf2da31-hearst.
· Auction Committee Meeting: The auction committee will meet on Monday, Jan. 2 at 7pm at the Tenleytown Whole Foods in the upstairs eating space. Please join us! The auction is the largest fundraising event for Hearst and we need your help to make it a success! Contact Emily Olesh (email@example.com) or Adrienne Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org), co-chairs, if you are interested in helping but can't make it to the meeting.
· Happy Hour Competition: We are holding a happy hour competition at Grilled Oyster Co. to see whether the moms or the dads can raise more money for the Owl Fund. Moms will gather on Monday, Jan. 9 from 6-8pm and Dads will gather on Monday, Jan. 23 from 6-8pm. Please check the listerv for a SignUp Genius to RSVP.
· PTA Meeting: The PTA will hold its next meeting on Wednesday, Jan. 11 at 6pm in the library. Pizza and childcare will be available for all potty-trained kids. Please check the listserv and school website for sign-up information.
· Open House Tours: Looking for an opportunity to share your Hearst experience? Look no further than the next Open House on Friday, Jan. 13. If you have time to help out by greeting visitors, giving a tour or just setting up, please email Kay Parry at email@example.com.
· PTA on the Playground: Have an issue or concern you’d like to raise? Want to meet more parents? Have an idea for a fundraiser Stop by the benches on the playground (in the gym if inclement weather) on Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 5pm and talk with the PTA.
· Pre-Auction Wine Nights: This year’s annual pre-auction wine parties will be held on Saturday, Jan. 28 and Saturday, Feb. 25. Please bring one bottle of wine for the wine night and one bottle of wine to be packaged for the auction. For more information contact Emily Olesh at firstname.lastname@example.org or Adrienne Allen (email@example.com).
· Community Dining Night: Our next Potomac Pizza night will be Monday, March 13. Please join us from 4-9pm at 19 Wisconsin Circle, Chevy Chase, Md. Dine in or carry out but make sure to mention you’re with Hearst and our school will receive 20 percent of our proceeds.