I hope that you’ve had a relaxing weekend and look forward to seeing everyone bright and early tomorrow morning!
Thanks and if you’re a football fan, enjoy the game!
- Principal Albright and former Hearst students will be at Hearst on Wednesday, February 8, from 5:00-6:00 in the library to share information about Deal Middle School. All staff and families are encouraged to attend! Childcare will be provided from 5:00-6:00.
- Chancellor Wilson will be visiting our PTA meeting from 6:00-7:00 on February 8, in the gym. You’ll have the opportunity to hear about him, there will be a chance for Q and A with the Chancellor, and time to provide feedback about DCPS that he hopes to use when setting priorities and crafting a new strategic plan. DCPS will be hosting larger, ward-based meetings with the chancellor in March and April with dates/location TBA. Please join us for this opportunity to engage with our new Chancellor!
- Classrooms, doors, and common areas are being regularly wiped down and disinfected by custodians and teachers in order to help to stop the spread of germs and illness. Please remind your kids to wash their hands and to cough into their elbows (not hands) so as to stop the further spread of any bugs.
- Attached is this week’s Northwest Current article from Ms. Molino’s class.
- Our Hearst Girls basketball team has finished the season undefeated! Congratulations to them and their coaches for all of their hard work. Stay tuned for information about the playoffs.
- The Hearst Boys basketball team is playing Shepherd on Thursday, February 9, at 4:00 at Hearst. Please come out to support our boys!
Hearst Core Values Survey
The Hearst community has a set of beliefs and values that underlies all that we do for and with the school; however, the values are always evolving and have not been explicitly named before now. It’s important for us to name them and develop a consensus as a community about these values as we continue our work toward being the best little school in the district. By Monday, February 13, please share your thoughts with us using the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/HeMZQ56dcgeL0vl33.
Starting this week, Ms. Vandivier will be in the library on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays until 5 pm for students and families to check out books, read, and do homework. In order to ensure their safety, students must be under supervision after school at all times either by an adult designated by the student's family or through enrollment in an after school program at Hearst.
SEM (Schoolwide Enrichment Model) Clusters
On Friday, February 3, our new SEM groups met for the first time. In these meetings, students discussed what they would be doing in the groups over the next weeks. Please be sure to ask your child which group he or she is in and what they’ll be doing in their group. Also, be on the lookout for more requests for support from members of our Hearst community.
School Store: Ms. Schiers, Mr. Garfield, and Ms. Shultz
International Cuisine: Ms. Drew and Mr. Levin
Puppets: Ms. Crawley and Ms. Vandivier
Stanor’s: Ms. McCranor and Mr. Stacey
Legos: Ms. Johnson and Ms. Singh
Yoga: Ms. Addeo, Ms. Gilmore, and Ms. Black
Hearst Ambassadors: Ms. Thomas - If there are any parents or friends of Hearst that have experience creating virtual tours (real estate agents, museum staff, etc.) please contact email@example.com as the kids in this group would like to create a virtual tour of the school to put on our website and we need your technical expertise!
Junior Creators: Ms. Greenberg
Under the Sea: Ms. Loughead and Ms. Walker
War of the Worlds: Ms. Dilley and Ms. Boyle
Comics! Comics! Comics!: Mr. Coleman
Stay Encouraged: Ms. Zarb
Coding: Mr. Short and Mr. Ibrahim
Chocolatiers: Ms. Prince, Ms. Beech, and Ms. Whittaker
Matherpieces: Ms. Gray
DC United is offering all of our students a free ticket for the home opener on Saturday, March 4. You’ll need to fill out the form and send it directly back to D.C. United in order to get the ticket. Additional tickets can be purchased for $30. See the attached flyer (Student Achievement Program Flyer) for more information.
Hello Owl Families! We are planning a “Pi” fundraiser for our regular March PTA meeting to be held on March 15, just one day after “Pi Day!” If you would like to bake or purchase a pie to donate, please contact Judy Goodstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PTA Meeting: The PTA will hold its next meeting this Wednesday, Feb. 8 at 6pm in the gym. Pizza and childcare will be available for all potty-trained kids. Please click here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSerwi9SEsNDSqQtcR4do3aFH8ZvJDIqHZW54DlKeMGxxDw7bQ/viewformfor sign-up information.
- Open House Tours: Looking for an opportunity to share your Hearst experience? Look no further than the next Open House on Friday, February 10. If you have time to help out by greeting visitors, giving a tour or just setting up, please email Kay Parry email@example.com.
- Last Pre-Auction Wine Party: The final pre-auction wine party will be held on Saturday, Feb. 25. Please bring one bottle of wine for the wine night and one bottle of wine to be packaged for the auction. Please RSVP to Nayamka Long at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Community Dining Night: Our next Potomac Pizza night will be Monday, March 13. Please join us from 4-9pm at 19 Wisconsin Circle, Chevy Chase, Md. Dine in or carry out but make sure to mention you’re with Hearst and our school will receive 20 percent of our proceeds.
- Hearst Auction: The annual Hearst auction will be held on Saturday, March 25 at the UDC Student Center, just one mile from Hearst! Please check out the auction website at: http://hearstes.schoolauction.net/2017/homepages/show for information on how to purchase tickets, make donations and get involved. For more auction information please contact Emily Olesh at email@example.com or Adrienne Allen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
News and Announcements from Other Organizations
DPR and DGS will be holding a Hearst Community Meeting in regards to the Hearst Park and Pool Survey and Concepts in the gym on February 15th from 6:30-8:00pm. Please see the attached flyer for additional information