Happy 2nd Day of Spring Break, Owls!
Have a great break!
School Gardens Plan – please reach out to our PK and K teams if you have small plastic cups, soil, or other gardening items to donate!
- PK and K start herbs in classrooms after spring break
- After spring break SEM starts seedlings for a variety of vegetables
- 4/9/16 from 9-12, volunteers will meet at Hearst to build planting beds on the rear plaza; planting beds will be designed by SEM and SEM students will calculate amount of soil to purchase
- Planting Day will occur on a date TBD in April
- PK & K plant herbs in back beds and use bed closest to front door as an experimental bed
- SEM plants vegetables in beds and the front bed closest to the street with be an ornamental garden
- SEM will sell seedlings that they aren’t able to use in beds at a Hearst Farm Stand, time and date TBD
Enrollment Updates for 2016-2017
- There will be no mailing of enrollment forms this year as families will receive a postcard in the mail reminding them to enroll.
- Blank enrollment forms can be printed from the DCPS website (http://dcps.dc.gov/node/996642) or forms pre-populated with your child’s information can be printed for you by Ms. Johnson and Ms. Hinchey in the main office.
- Enrollment begins Friday, April 1. Our goal is to have completed enrollment packets for all new and returning students by May 31. This will help with planning and maintaining our small class sizes for next year.
A completed enrollment packet includes:
- Signed and completely filled out Student Enrollment Form, Home Language Survey, Military Recruitment Opt-Out/Media Release Form
- Proof of residency
- For new PK students, a birth certificate
- DC Universal Health Certificate and Oral Health Assessment Form, if available, can be submitted with the enrollment documents or at the latest, the first day of school in August
News and Announcements from Central Office
Get Emergency Alerts
AlertDC is the official DC communications system that sends emergency alerts, notification, and updates to your electronic devices. When an incident or emergency occurs, District officials can quickly notify you using this emergency alert and warning system. Sign up here to get the alerts you want for the geographic areas around your school community.
2016 Early Childhood Transition Week
To help ease the transition from home or daycare to school, children in PK3 or PK4 will start SY 16-17 year with a shortened week. At most schools, the first day for all PK3 and PK4 students will be 8/25. On Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of the first week, PK3 and PK4 children will not attend school. Teachers and parents will use this time to connect through family visits and/or school events.
This e-mail has been sent to you by HEARST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. To maximize their communication with you, you may be receiving this e-mail in addition to a phone call with the same message. If you no longer wish to receive email notifications from HEARST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL, please click here to unsubscribe.