By all accounts, Back to School Night was a great success, and I thank you for spending your Wednesday evening with us. Another thanks to all of those who came out to Screen on the Green on Friday.
Hope you’ve had a great weekend,
- Thank you to everyone who has adjusted their routines, schedules, and commutes in light of the Beach Drive construction. I’m happy to say that we didn’t seen a spike in tardiness on Thursday or Friday and I thank you for prioritizing getting your kids to school on time.
- If your child has any dietary needs that require special meals from the cafeteria (lactose intolerant, glute-free, vegan, vegetarian, etc.) please be sure to turn in the dietary accommodations form to the school nurse. See (http://dcps.dc.gov/page/dietary-accommodations) for the form.
- As of Friday, 62% of our families have received home visits! Thank you for opening your homes to us!
- We’ll have an LSAT Meeting on Wednesday, September 28, from 4:30-5:50 in the conference room.
- Friday, September 30 is a Professional Development Day and there will be no school for students.
September 29 Community Meeting
We’ll have our first community meeting of the year on Thursday afternoon, from 2:00-3:00 in the gym. The Rules Committee, made up of student representatives from each grade level, will share the school rules they developed, each class will share their class names and banners with the rest of the school, and then the student council candidates will give their speeches. Please join us if you can!
News and Announcements from Central Office
Welcome Director of Athletics
Mrs. Diana Parente of Long Island, New York, now assumes the role of Director of Athletics. Mrs. Parente has a BA in Political Science from Syracuse University and proceeded to earn two master’s degrees in Secondary Social Studies Education and Education Leadership from New York University. Diana has taught in New York City Public Schools, coached soccer for both her high school and the Public Schools Athletic League’s (PSAL) Big Apple Games, and served as Director of Title IX Operations for the New York City Department of Education before being promoted and serving as Deputy Director of the PSAL for the past three years. Mrs. Parente brings extensive experience to the District as she formerly managed and supervised the largest interscholastic district in the country where she was responsible for overseeing the day to day operations of the PSAL with a focus on Title IX, medical policies, students with disabilities, creating a more equitable distribution of athletic teams between large and small schools, and LGBT policies. DCPS’ current Interim Director of Athletics, Reginald Ballard, has transitioned into the role of Special Advisor. If you have any questions please reach out to Ms. Parente at email@example.com.
Everything was awesome! Thanks so much to everyone who came out to watch The Lego Movie and hang out on Friday night. And a very special thank you to Mary O’Neill for pulling together the awesome event!
The PTA is looking into creating a competition for the Hearst community to redesign our Hearst Owl and t-shirts. Please watch the listserv for more details. For questions, or if you are interested in helping, please contact Joshua Saltzman (father of Sadie in Ms. Prince's class) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
-The Auction Committee will hold its first meeting of the year on Monday, October 3 at 7pm at the Tenleytown Whole Foods. For more information, contact Emily Olesh at email@example.com
- Next PTA Meeting: Join us in the library on Wednesday, October 19 from 6pm to 7:30pm. Childcare and pizza will be available for all potty-trained students and siblings.
-Community Dining Night: Join us at Potomac Pizza on Monday, October 24, for pizza and other delicious offerings just on the other side of the District Line in the Chevy Chase Center.