DCPS 5-Day Excuse Policy
A reminder that DCPS cannot accept parent notes to excuse absences beyond 5 days after the student’s return. If your child is absent, please get those notes to Ms. Hinchey (email@example.com) as soon as you can. Thanks!
Greetings from the PTA. Here are a few announcements and reminders:
--Friday (Oct. 30) is the deadline to participate in the Owl Fund contest and to submit fall Box Tops.
OWL FUND contest
Help your Owl win a cupcake party for their grade level by being first to reach 100% participation by all families for donations to the Owl Fund. Check your grade's progress on the website or on the tracking board in the lobby.
- The Owl Fund contest goal is 100% participation by all Hearst Families - even $1.00 counts as participation so make your donation today!
- The Owl Fund is the PTA's most efficient fundraising vehicle; the more families donate to the Owl Fund the fewer "asks" the teachers and PTA need to make of parents throughout the year.
- The Owl Fund supports every child and teacher at Hearst. Owl Fund donations cover field trip expenses, classroom funds and professional development for teachers and help subsidize enrichment programs.
- The suggested annual donation per child is $650. Donations at any level are helpful and very welcome.
- returning the envelope that came home in backpacks last week; enclose your donation and send back in the kid’s folder with child’s name and grade level noted.
- credit card on the website - http://www.hearstes.org/owl_fund. One-time and recurring donations can be set-up. Be sure to indicate child(s) grade level(s) in comment box.
- check dropped off in the main office for the "PTA treasurer's mailbox" OR mailed to the school. Please be sure to note your kid's names & grade level(s) on your check.
BOX TOPS for Hearst
Please turn in your Box Tops (more information here: http://www.hearstes.org/retail_loyalty). The fall submission deadline is Oct. 30. Cut 'em on the dotted line, bag 'em with Ziploc, and drop 'em in the PTA mailbox in the Hearst main office or give them to Mark Farrell (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Hearst zip-up hoodies are now available for purchase online
It’s that time, Hearst Owls! Zip-up hoodies are available NOW. Help us raise money for the PTA, and get a stylish sweatshirt at the same time! Available for a limited time only, this sweatshirt will ship right to you, with proceeds going to the PTA. Team up with friends or classmates to save on shipping costs. Sweatshirts available in blue or grey and in sizes from youth small to adult 3XL. Go to https://www.booster.com/hearst2015
--The next meeting of the Auction Committee is Nov. 2 (Mon) from 7-9 pm at the Tenleytown Whole Foods.
Volunteers sought and all are welcome.
--The Hearst Community E-cycle is Nov. 7 (Sat) from 9 am-1 pm. Volunteers needed (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/4090f44aea62b0-hearst) for both the E-cycle and rummage market.
Drop off your unwanted electronics for recycling and your documents for shredding, plus swap or donate working electronics, kids’ and adults’ books and bikes, cleats and sports equipment. Remove clutter in your home by renting a table to sell gently used or unwanted items at the rummage market (Use link above or contact Vanessa at VP@Hearstes.org for more details), shop the rummage sale, adopt a pet from the Washington Humane Society, donate your extra diapers to the DC Diaper Bank (open packages accepted), grab a snack at the bake sale and play in the bounce house. For more information go to http://www.hearstes.org/ecycle_2015. Download the rummage market flyer at http://bit.ly/1Nl61PS. This event is open to the public, so please help spread the word.