I hope that you’ve had a wonderful spring break and that our Owls had lots of time to relax, play, and spend time with loved ones. It’s hard to believe but we only have eight weeks left in this school year. Please help us ensure that these last weeks of school are great by making sure that your kids maintain their regular eating and sleeping routines during these longer days. We will spend some time tomorrow reinforcing our school routines and expectations to ensure that the transition back from break is a smooth one and appreciate your support in doing the same at home.
See you tomorrow morning,
· Portrait Day at Hearst will be Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
· The Deal Middle School team will be at Hearst on Wednesday, May 10 from 3:30-6:30 to enroll current Hearst 5th graders.
· Attached are resources shared at the parent event on Wednesday, April 12, focused on supporting kids with anxiety, stress, anger, and coping skills.
· As a reminder, because of the large number of students on the soccer field during outdoor arrival, students are not to play soccer or football at arrival time. During inclement arrival in the gym, the same holds true, with the addition of basketball. Know that this measure was put in place in the fall after several students were injured inadvertently and while playing during arrival times.
The week ahead is a busy one at Hearst with visitors coming to the school from PBS, our first track meet of the season on Monday, multiple field trips, an assembly, and a PTA meeting. As we've gotten closer to spring break, there has been a slight uptick in the number of students coming to the main office as a result of a conflict with a peer in the classroom, at recess, or at lunch. We will continue to hold our students to our high academic and behavioral expectations this week and reinforce the problem-solving and emotion-management techniques that students are learning in the Second Step lessons. Below is additional information about one of the strategies we're teaching kids and I hope that you will reinforce this strategy at home so that this week can be a smooth one for all of our Owls.
Thanks and have a wonderful afternoon,
- Nurse Carter received notification that there is a voluntary recall of 13 lots of EpiPens and EpiPen Jrs. The notification is attached for your information.
- Report cards for Term 3 will be sent home with students on Friday, April 14, our last day of school before Spring Break.
- Spring Break is April 17-21 and while there will be no school for students, the main office will be open Tuesday, April 18, through Friday, April 21, from 9:00am-4:00pm.
- Portrait Day at Hearst has been rescheduled from Monday, April 10 to Tuesday, May 9, 2017.
- The Deal Middle School team will be at Hearst on Wednesday, May 10 from 3:30-6:30 to enroll current Hearst 5th graders.
- Handymen and Handywomen Wanted! We need Hearst family members and staff to volunteer some time the evening of Thursday, April 13, to help build stage boxes to be used as props during Willy Wonka, Jr. and future performances of the Hearst Drama Team. Please see the PTA update below for more information.
- Attached is a flyer for the Washington Breeze, a pro ultimate Frisbee team in DC. Also, for those interested in Frisbee, DPR is supporting a team this spring. Please reach out to Kim Campbell (email@example.com) for more information. Students 8-10 years old can join the team and it meets on Thursdays at 4:30pm.