Please see below for updates and announcements.
I hope you’ve had a wonderful weekend and are enjoying this beautiful fall weather,
The Week Ahead
Monday, October 19 – Teacher Work Day - No School for Students
5:00-6:00 SIT Meeting, conference room
Thursday, October 22
9:00-3:00 K Field Trip to Miller Farms
Friday, October 23
9:15-10:45 Open House, Meet in Cafeteria
A Look Ahead
Monday, October 26 – Enrollment Audit
Tuesday, October 27 – 6:00-7:15 PK & K APTT Meetings
Wednesday, October 28 – 3:30-4:30 Personnel Committee Meeting; 4:30-5:30 LSAT Meeting; 6:00-7:15 1st, 2nd, & CES APTT Meetings
Thursday, October 29 - 6:00-7:15 3rd, 4th, & 5th Grade APTT Meetings
Friday, October 30 – 8:45-9:30 Literacy Parade/Walk to Support Friendship Place; 12:15 – Students Dismissed
News and Announcements
Childcare for APTT nights
We will be able to offer childcare on the APTT meeting nights from 5:45-7:30pm. Addtional details on where this childcare will be provided will be shared next week.
Bullying Prevention Month Resources
Scholastic has put together a fantastic group of resources related to bullying and bullying prevention. Please visit http://www.scholastic.com/parents/resources/collection/bullying-teasing/parent-guide-to-bullying for videos, book suggestions, and articles related to discipline, kindnesss, teasing, and cyber buylling among other topics.
News and Announcements from DCPS
Curaçaoan Food Day (10/21)
Curacaoan Food Day is the first event of DCPS’ International Food Days Program in SY 2015-2016. All DCPS students are cordially invited to taste foods from the island of Curaçao in their school cafeterias on Wednesday, October 21. Principals, please share the attached “Curaçaoan Food Day” official invitation with your school communities. The official Curaçaoan Food Day celebration will be held at Garfield Elementary School, Curaçao’s partner school for the Embassy Adoption Program. For questions about the menu, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions about the event, contact email@example.com. View the flyer here Curaçaoan Food Day(1).pdf
Here are some upcoming events on the PTA calendar (http://www.hearstes.org/calendar2):
Oct. 23 (Fri): PTA on the Playground 8-9 am
Oct. 23 (Fri): Hearst Open House 9:15-10:45 am - Contact Kay Parry (firstname.lastname@example.org) to volunteer or for more information.
Oct. 30 (Fri) Owl Fund Contest and Fall BOX TOPS Deadline (details below)
Nov. 2 (Mon): Auction Committee Meeting at Tenley Whole Foods 7-9 pm
Nov. 7 (Sat): Hearst Community E-cycle 9 am-1 pm
Drop off your unwanted electronics for recycling and your documents for shredding, plus swap or donate working electronics, kids’ and adults’ books and bikes, cleats and sports equipment. Remove clutter in your home by renting a table to sell gently used or unwanted items at the rummage market (contact Vanessa at VP@Hearstes.org for more details), shop the rummage sale, adopt a pet from the Washington Humane Society, donate your extra diapers to the DC Diaper Bank (open packages accepted), grab a snack at the bake sale and play in the bounce house. For more information go to http://www.hearstes.org/ecycle_2015 or email us at email@example.com.
OWL FUND DONATIONS NEEDED! Contest ends October 30th!
Help your Owl win a cupcake party for their grade level by being first to reach 100% participation by all families for donations to the Owl Fund. Check your grade's progress on the website or on the tracking board in the lobby.
- The Owl Fund contest goal is 100% participation by all Hearst Families - even $1.00 counts so make your donation today!
- The Owl Fund is the PTA's most efficient fundraising vehicle; the more families donate to the Owl Fund the fewer "asks" the teachers and PTA need to make of parents throughout the year.
- The Owl Fund supports every child and teacher at Hearst. Owl Fund donations cover field trip expenses, classroom funds and professional development for teachers and help subsidize enrichment programs.
- The suggested annual donation per child is $650. Donations at any level are helpful and very welcome.
- returning the envelope that came home in backpacks last week; enclose your donation and send back in the kid’s folder with child or children’s name and grade level(s) noted.
- credit card on the website - http://www.hearstes.org/owl_fund. One-time and recurring donations can be set-up. Be sure to indicate child or children's grade level(s) in comment box.
- check dropped off in the main office for the "PTA treasurer's mailbox" OR mailed to the school. Please be sure to note your kid or kids' names & grade level(s) on your check.
Send in your BOX TOPS and enroll your GIANT CARD for Hearst!
Please turn in your Box Tops (more information here: http://www.hearstes.org/retail_loyalty). The fall submission deadline is Oct. 30. Cut 'em on the dotted line, bag 'em with Ziploc, and drop 'em in the PTA mailbox in the Hearst main office or give them to Mark Farrell.
Giant’s A+ School Rewards program also started this month. Earn money for Hearst with each purchase made using your Giant Card. Register your loyalty card (http://giantfood.com/savings-and-rewards/rewards-program/aplus/) or send Mark (firstname.lastname@example.org) your Giant Card number.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!